The Blue House of Crazy

Adventures of an American Expat Family

February 20, 2013

What I learned in Kindergarten

Some years ago, an email or something was floating around about what we learned in Kindergarten and how it related to us as adults. It was interesting but was that really when we gained this things?  I now believe YES!

 Until recently, Turkish kids didn't start school until they were 7. I didn't know this when we first moved to Istanbul. A full Preschool and Reception at the kids school made me think otherwise. Last year, Turkish kids were allowed in International schools. Now I know it was because they didn't have preschool to Year 1! Anyways, I was completely shocked. No wonder those kids across the way were running the streets ALL the time. I thought they just had bad parents. The knowledge my kids soaked up from 3-7 was huge! I read that once they hit 7, the amount the brain can take in slows down. How is Turkey missing out on this stage? And as I have been observing, what you learn in Kindergarten really does make an impact on you as an adult.

 Take for example - you are taught to NOT wear dark clothes if you are out walking at night. To me this is just common sense! But not in Istanbul. The number of people I have almost hit is a bit scary. Every night that I drive home from gymnastics, everyone, yes EVERYONE, is walking down these barely two lane roads with NO street lights in completely black outfits. Maybe the Turks are just used to it, but it scares the crap out of me driving in the dark. And it doesn't help that they are fearless of cars. They won't even think twice before stepping out in front of your car. And I don't understand why there are so many street light that are not in use. It's pitch black, on a crazy hill and consent headlights in your eyes. Please people! Put on a white shirt!!! I love the construction guys because they leave their safety vests on as they walk down the middle of the road.

 Standing in line - this rarely happens. Yes at the grocery store and sort of at the Mall. But if you leave just the smallest of spaces, someone will try to jump line. And if you are at a busy place, say like the Bazaar, trying to wait in line, just forget it or you better start swinging elbows. I always let someone else do it because people don't pay any attention to the stroller. On Sunday, I had an old woman about fall on the stroller and another lady just walking right into the side of the stroller. Her purse almost whacked Milly. Hello, it's a BIG orange thing. I know you saw me there! I have started swearing more recently. 

Taking turns and following the rules - God helps us if anyone could do these two things on the roads of Istanbul. If there is one thing I am coming to hate about Istanbul, it is driving. They will cut you off, push you out of your lane, pull out in front of you (when your car is already passing that car) then road rage you to the next town. Block the road to keep you from turning, tailgate like you wouldn't believe because OMG, someone might get in front of them. I have been told there is the mentality of I have to be first, no matter what.

 Staying in the line - I don't get this one but I can tell an expat is driving… they stay in their lane! I haven't seen a Turk that has the ability to drive in one lane. And it doesn't really matter if you are in the lane right next to them.

 Ok enough on driving. LOL. I have had some rough ones this year so far. And I just drive into the country! So it is my personal opinion, Istanbul you NEED Kindergarten!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home