The Blue House of Crazy

Adventures of an American Expat Family

December 6, 2012

Just Wow

Last Thursday, I went to get my hair done before the big end of year party on Saturday.  This is the first time I have driven myself.  Parking is horrible in that area, but since the owner is my driver’s brother, he always saves us a spot.  Well, someone stole my spot.  And if they had parked correctly, we would have both fit.  So I ended up parking very badly and illegally.  It would have gotten me towed in the US in about 2.3 seconds.  The back of my car was out in traffic just a bit, but everyone could get by with no issues.  Plus we were right there and would move it need.  And we were waiting for that other guy to leave.

We had been there about an hour when I saw Ilknur jump up and run outside.  When she came back she told me that a guy had walked into my car.  OK.  His jacket caught on my license plate.  He then RIPPED it OFF.  He ripped my license plate off when he was trying to get his jacket off and then just walked away.  Leaving my plate laying on the ground.  Well he ran when Ilknur started yelling and she threw it in my car.  I didn’t really understand how he ripped it off.  In the States, they are bolted on the car.  So it’s a bit difficult.

When we finally headed out, I check it out.  It’s basically a plastic plate holder screwed to the car.  And then you slide your plate in.  Well that is just plain dumb.  Now I have to figure out how the heck to get a new one.

Well, I thought no issue, I still have a front plate.  We were so busy over the weekend, the car never made it to the dealer.  Murat said he’d take it in the follow Saturday.  Monday night on the way home from picking up the girls, my gas light came on.  Crap.  I had enough to get home so I figured I’d take care of it the next day when I had to grocery shop.  Well, I learned a new thing during my trip to the gas station.  The guys totally were freaking out about.  It took me a minute to figure out what they were saying.  Not like they speak English.  Finally, I got our my Google translate app and typing in “A man ripped it off” and showed them the plate.  They finally calmed down.  Turns out every time you get gas, they enter your license plate number.  I never noticed that it was on my receipt.  When you get gas here, the guy pumps the gas and then you get a receipt.  You pay them in cash and sometimes you can pay with your card at the pump.  Other places you have to take it inside to pay.  I have to say it’s a pretty good theft deterrent.  They got your plate and they can find you.

I have now been informed by about every person that has walked by my car that my plate is missing.  Yes, thank you.  I really dislike that man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home