The Blue House of Crazy

Adventures of an American Expat Family

August 13, 2012

I’m Back……

What a crazy, whirlwind week this has been.  We had a house full of visitors and loved every minute.  Even though I’m 31 weeks pregnant, I still some how manage to keep up.
My sister in law finally got to come for a visit.  I’m very lucky and have a SIL that I love to spend time with.  She’s such an amazing help and we laugh and drink and just be silly.  This trip we finally got to meet the infamous boyfriend.  We’ve been hearing a bit about him for two years but have never gotten the chance to meet.  Another couple was supposed to come with them but the girl’s BF had to work so she brought her dad with her.
They arrive Sunday morning at 5:40am.  Thankfully, our driver and Joel headed to the airport to get them while I slept in.  First stop was Sutas for a tradition Turkish Breakfast on the Bosphorus.  Perfect start to a vacation in Istanbul.  I had asked them in advanced what they wanted to do but didn’t get a lot of response.  So I only planned three days.  I was hoping I could at least keep up with that!!  Sunday, I figured would be a down day.  For the most part, it was mellow.  Three of them decided to go for a walk around our neighborhood, while we worked on dinner.  They got a nice little surprise, one of our neighbors had a garage full of sheep they were prepping to butcher… in their garage.  That night we broke in our new grill.
Monday, Joel had taken off work and we all planned a day at Topkapi Palace.  It was one place we hadn’t been yet and were very excited to go.  Even the kids wanted to go.  So we loaded up our borrowed Transit and headed down to Sultanahmet.  We quickly discovered that August is NOT the best time to tour Istanbul.  It was freakin HOT!!!  We managed a whooping 1 1/2 in the Palace.  I spent most of the time sitting in the shade.  I just figured that I could come back anytime I wanted (preferably in the fall), so I will just try not getting heat stroke!
 217628_10100460592596148_1539954338_n

After we left the Palace, we met up with Murat our driver, who we instructed to find a nice place for lunch.  We had never eating in that area before.  All the old Ottoman building are just beautiful.  Murat did a great job and found us a place with great service!  It was amusing that they had Mexican on the menu next to Turkish.  And yes, I got burritos!  LOL.  They were pretty good.  We had a lovely lunch.  A boat tour was on the list next, but the kids were done and I was too.  We dropped the rest of the gang with Joel off at the Ortakoy pier and me and kiddos headed home.  I was told it was a lovely cruise and the breeze was just perfect.  That night we broke out the new Wii and enjoyed our fav past time, Mario Brothers.  It’s been a tradition with Rachelle and I, drinks and Super Mario Brothers 2 on the Original Nintendo.  Yes, we still have one that works great!

Tuesday, I had to take the day off!  Rachelle and Justin stayed home while Russ and Annie headed out on their own.  I loved that they were being adventurous!  Even using the Metro system!  We decided to let the kiddos have a go at the Wii.  It was a great time!  After a few rounds of Barbie Horse Riding, we broke out Just Dance 3.  Elly and Jocy were so fun.  Justin kicked our butts! LOL.  Even I got out there and swung the belly around.  There is a pic on FB to prove it.
So that is a quick look at my week.  I still haven’t really gotten a break yet!  I’m hoping at least on my birthday to get some down time.  I will fill you in on the rest of our adventures later this week.

LiveJournal Tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home