The Blue House of Crazy

Adventures of an American Expat Family

July 31, 2012

Our new Turkish plates!!

Before our move, I was starting to get sick of our plates.  It's one of those things where they look pretty in the store but not that great to use.  So when we were packing up for the move, they stayed.  I wasn't sure what I wanted to get but I knew I'd figure it out.

Well, I didn't.  We have been eating off our plastic outdoor stuff for the past year.  This is stuff we bought  on clearance at Kroger in Dearborn.... about 12 years ago! LOL.  Since we have been here, I have seen all the beautiful Turkish pottery.  It's all over the Grand Bazaar.  But I really wanted to go to Iznik to the factory and buy them there.  But I figured it would just get put off forever.

A few weeks ago we found ourselves at the Grand Bazaar.  It was hot, so I dragged everyone deeper into the Bazaar til finally I was nice and cool.  We weren't shopping for anything particular, just kind of window shopping.  When a bowl caught Joel's attending.  This RARELY happens.  When Joel says he found something he likes, I always go look.  He usually just says, get what ever you like.  Which you would think would be great!!  But I tend to get a little indecisive when I'm making big purchases.  It's a long freaked out processes that I usually work my way thru, but its much easier if Joel would just give me some input!

The bowl that Joel saw was an orange and white bowl with the Whirling Dervishes on it.  It was pretty cool, not my color choice.  I said we should go in and look since we were just discussing was have to get dishes soon.  We had dragged our driver along with us just in case we need some negotiation help.  I'm sure his wife is better, but you take what you can get! LOL.  The owner of the storage was very nice and spoke perfect English.  Turns out he supplied most of the shops around there.  Once we got the kids settles with their water and us some Cay, we started shopping.

We kind of talked about what we liked and didn't like.  Just getting the colors sorted first help cut a number of patterns out.  Also, there are two kinds of plates - lead and non lead.  You can eat off the one that contain lead, they are properly sealed, but they are handwash only.  Yeah, I'm not doing that!  So we went with the dishwasher friendly lead-free ones.  We were finally down to two patterns we really liked, but we just couldn't pick one.  So we picked both!  Well, we decided to mix and match the two patterns.  We even made some small adjustments in the patterns.  Perks of handmade dishes!  Finally after an hour of decisions and some heavy negotiation (40% off and the kids got some free stuff), we made the down payment.  They were a bit more expensive than I had wanted, but they are beautiful and will be a nice reminder of our time in Istanbul.  The owner said that he would deliver them himself the following Friday!  I was so excited!!

Friday had finally arrived and I was waiting for the phone call!  Well it came.... just not the one I had hoped for.  The delivery van making the delivery to the shop had been involved in an accident.  The whole shipment was a total loss.  UGH.. but no worries as they would put a rush order to have everything replaced.  But really what was another week.

True to his word, he delivered them the following Friday.  He unwrapped each plate and we inspected them all.  I loved them even more getting to see them all together.  I love that even though its the same patterns, each place is different since they are hand painted.

We have now been eating on them for a week but feel like I have had them forever.  I'm still nervous letting the kids eat on them but Jocy is no longer allowed to clear the plates from the table.  It will take Joel and I awhile to be able to not freak about it.  I know if we break one, its easy to replace.  Our patterns will be on file and he does ship to the US.  But we'd like to NOT for a little while.


Our stash of dinnerware plus three serving bowls and a butter dish


Place setting

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home