The Blue House of Crazy

Adventures of an American Expat Family

November 1, 2015

The Expat Struggle

Every time a holiday comes around, I have this internal struggle.  This Halloween was no different.  And I think it gets worse the older my kids get.  Seeing everyones wonderful Halloween pictures on Facebook makes me feel sad that my kids are missing out on that.  We used to spend every Halloween with Joel's cousin's family.  Plus, there were all the parties.  We had so many friends in Kansas City.  But here we are, again, the newbies.  Trying to figure out life and find new friends.  I don't even know if there is any Halloween celebrations in Changchun?  Mommy guilt in full effect here!

The kids had a great time at their school Halloween shindig.  But come Halloween night, they were all whining about the lack of trick or treating.  Nate actually said, "Tell the US President to tell China to have Halloween."

As I was sitting with my eldest watching everything we could find Halloweenish, I asked her how she felt about missing Halloween?  Really all holidays?  Would she rather we had gone back to the US?  She said that yes, she kind of misses all the events associated with American holidays (bad parents), but that school helped fill in those gaps.  Then she said, that while she wishes she was back doing all these fun things we see my friends and their kids doing thru Facebook,  none of them are spending Christmas in Japan, CNY in Thailand and spring break exploring China.  That right there, made my day.  I still have a bit of mommy guilt but I know when they look back at their childhood, they will be grateful for all the amazing adventures!


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home