The Blue House of Crazy

Adventures of an American Expat Family

November 26, 2012

Thanksgiving

In the Beckerman House, we celebrated Thanksgiving the following Saturday.  Since the kids were at school and Joel at work, there was no point in fixing a big feast and not eating together.  So this past Saturday was the big to do.

I've been in charge of the cooking for a few years now.  Basically since we moved to Kansas City. 9 hours was just too far for a 4 day weekend and once we got to two kids, it was just too much. Some times we had family and some times friends.  I've had my wins and failures of the years, but I think my grandma and mom did a good job teaching me good Southern cookin'.

This year we invited our driver and his family.  This is the first time in 4 years that they have all been in Turkey as a family. The old two kiddos were living in Australia with grandma.  The oldest boy is back for good and their daughter is here for a visit.  It's been great to finally meet them.  It's been fun getting to know them.  Joel also invited his Director to dinner.  His wife and kids are still back in MI, so we couldn't let him miss Thanksgiving.

Between my broken toe, dress shopping, a leaking ceiling, and a broken dryer, my shopping plans got put off until Saturday morning.  I managed to get the LAST whole turkey at Carrefour.  Guess we have a lot more Americans around here than last year.  Carrefour has also started carrying jars of the green beans we are used too.  So besides sweet potatoes, everything should turn out like home.

And did it ever!  This has to be the BEST Turkey dinner I have ever cooked.  The Turkey was beautiful and tasted wonderful.  I didn't even brine it and it was so juicy!  The green bean casserole was so tasty!!  Much better with the right kind of green bean.  I couldn't keep Joel for stealing the crispy onions.  I've finally managed to perfect my knockoff French's Fried Onions.  The stuffing has never been a problem but it seemed to look much prettier.  Probably just the high of my beautiful dinner.  I had a big can of Pumpkin that I brought when we moved.  I made two different kinds of Pumpkin Pie - regular and Apple butter (made the apple butter too) and a couple lofts of Pumpkin Bread.  Pumpkin is not readily found around these parts.  And from my secret stash, Ocean Spray Cranberry Sauce.  I have heard myths about bottles of Cranberry Juice but never seen one.  Or Cranberries or can cranberry sauce.  Such excitement to be able to eat things that you haven't had since leaving the States.

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving.....  until Nate puked.  Yep, never calm in my house.  Jocy followed by wanting to put and then having one of her allergy induced asthma attacks.  Which turned into her having a meltdown and is now sick.  Sigh.  I think she made it a few week later in the year before getting this.  Sunday was spend recovering from two days of cooking and a super busy Saturday. Did a mention that along with grocery shopping (two trips) and cooking, the girls had gymnastics and Jocy had a bday party?

Unfortunately, I was too busy to take pictures.  I think Yeshim did so I will have to get them from her and post.

I hear someones tiny cries.... Milly has lost her voice a bit too.  Now to decorate for Christmas!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home