The Blue House of Crazy

Adventures of an American Expat Family

September 19, 2011

What I like....

Since we have been here for over a month, I thought it was time to write down the things that I am enjoying about Istanbul.  I keep reading on expat forums about the "honeymoon" period, which I am guessing I am still in, and just in case I start sounding like this people, I want a reminder why I first fell in love with this place.


I will admit that people here are pushy, invade your personal space, and avoid almost all eye contact.  But in the little time we have been here, they have been amazingly nice to us.  Maybe its because we have been living in the Hilton, but it seems the days I have a bad experience, three more nice things happen to trump it.  Now, it has taken a little getting used to, but the amount of attention the kids get is unbelievely.  Cool looking, well dressed men, pinch the kids cheeks.  Grandmothers stop and give hugs.  Store owners give them treats (to mom and dad's dismay).  One of the hotel managers gave the kids adorable stuffed animals.  And I swear the hotel stocked up on pink, purple, and green straws just for our kids.  People give up seats on public transportation.  Waiters grab the stroller the second we walk in.  I am sure I could go on and on.  


Now I could probably do a whole post on just the Hilton.  If you ever consider coming to Istanbul, stay at the Hilton.  Well unless you are staying with me. :)  It definitely looks like it was built in the late 50s on the outside.  And the inside, is a little dated.  But it is immaculate!  The rooms are nice and comfortable.  The staff really takes an enormous pride in their hotel and their job.  The Valet knows us well and most mornings has Joel's car waiting for him.  The hotel management spoils the kids.  The host and hostess at breakfast know us well and gets daily hugs from the kids.  They take good care of us and we never have to wait for a table.  The cleaning staff does an amazing job.  I have never seen service like this at home!  I try to get the kids to pick up their toys and really don't expect anyone else to do it.  But each person that cleans, picks up all the toys and folds all their clothes.  They even re-rinse their pool stuff  in the tub.  One of the girls that regularly cleans, loves Elly.  And she goes out of her way to arrange the girls stuff animals on their beds.  which of course Elly and Jocy love and they both always thank her when we she her.  One of the guys that does the heavy cleaning, always makes sure to say hi to the kids.  With the accent here, Elly's name is just too cute to hear!   The guy that delivers the water and stocks the coffee, always comes during nap time.  And he is very respectful and tiptoes in and takes care of everything, leaving extra water for the kids room.  The best part of our room is its a Garden room.  We have a great patio and a large grassy area that the kids can run around.  It's completely fenced so they get a bit of freedom.  We have enjoyed a few lunches out there.  
 Enjoying lunch on the patio
 one of my fav "snacks"


Even Skinny enjoys some outdoor time.


  The food is also really good!  The Chinese restaurant, Dragon, is not only the best Chinese restaurant but also one of the top restaurant in Istanbul.  I was surprised to see it is considered a much visit restaurant.  Ok... not really because the food is great!   I really think the Hilton's need to take what they have here and bring it to the US.  They really have an amazing hotel here. :)


Cay - I have come to love having a hot tea after dinner.  Now I can't drink as much as the locals do, but I am definitely sold!  And to go with that... I LOVE LOVE LOVE my electric kettle.  It can have cold water boiled in about 30 seconds.  I already have one picked out at Esse (which looks a lot like William Sonoma).   Downside is the coffee in the room is instant.  But I have a rough time with Turkish coffee and that includes the filtered kind.  My stomach is getting to be a wuss in its old age.  So a nice calm instant coffee works once in awhile.  


The shopping - it is a million times better than KC.  I do miss Target horribly.  They really don't have an all in one store here.  At least not with the selection of my beloved Super Target.  The Carre Four by our new place is the closest I have found.  Let me tell you how fun it is to figure our where to buy deodorant and diapers.  And forget about finding kids de-tangler.    Thankfully, I found Gratis which covers all your bathroom needs.  But other than love of speciality stores here, its fabulous to shop here!  We have been to 4 different malls so far.  Istinye Park is the newest and very high end mall.  It is a two minute drive from our new place!  Yay!  One of the few with free parking (others are only like $2.50 for 6 hours.  They have a whole floor dedicated to kids stores.  The food court has a pretty good selection... even a Popeye's.   Very excited for Gap.  But truthfully will probably be no longer my store of choice!  Mudo has gorgeous clothes for amazing prices!  At first you are like... do I really want to pay $60 for that dress... what it's 50% off.  Hm.... wait... that is in TL not USD.  That gorgeous dress is only like $16?!?!  It would be like $80 at home!  And their home section - puts Pottery Barn to shame.  Totally scrapped the buying everything at IKEA plan.    So I LOVE Istinye Park.  Then we hit up Kanyon right before school started because its much closer.  What a beautiful mall.  Its bowl shaped and the walkways are all outside.  The top is the IMAX.  The day we went was perfect and breezy.  They have a Stride Rite there and a Habitat.  So I will be back.  Nate got his first haircut there.  Amazing job.  They have one side for men and the other for woman.  The woman's side was full, they were all getting their hair done for the weekend.  Not cut and color... just a style.  Few even were getting their makeup done.   I could get used to this.   Now I just need a nanny and a personal stylist and I am ready to replace my WHOLE closet!!!


The weather - Now, I have been going back and forth on this one.  The weather is PERFECT. 80s sunny and always a breeze.  Not much humidity either.  I love sitting outside and reading while the kids run around.  Really happy we have an outdoor space.  On the other hand, I love a good rain day.  Curl up on the couch in my pjs with a cup of coffee and watch movies.  Snuggling with my kiddos.   It's only rained once in the 6 weeks we have been here.    Don't get me wrong, I am not missing all those tornado warnings at home.  But a good rainy day twice a month would be nice.  Did I mention that I have the best tan I have had probably all my adult life? LOL.  


So that is a start.  I totally lost my train of thought and its about time to head to the pool.  What a life I lead.  

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home