The Blue House of Crazy

Adventures of an American Expat Family

August 9, 2011

Su NOT soup

Last night we headed out to look for a pet store.  We have looked at the mall, around areas we know and Joel even looked near work.  The only one we remembering seeing was in Zek and that would be our desperation trip.  Because who knows if we could even find downtown Zek!!!

So thanks to Google maps, we found what we thought was a pet store.  The word pet in Turkish is WAY too long,  Akvaryum.  So off we went.  We seem to be the only people that ever walk out of the Hilton.  But I have been enjoying the daily long walks.  Except for today when my back is killing me.  The pet store we were looking for was near an intersection we know well but in one of the little back street.  Since it was pretty late, we were scoping out where to have dinner on the way back.  There doesn’t seem to be any set times that stores close so we were trying to make a mad dash before the pet store closed.  We reach was we thought was Rumeli Cd., but the street sign was gone!!  We asked the first by passer and he confirmed it was.  Joel was not convinced that the store was down this little street.  I think our alley in Detroit was twice the size.  But I looked at the map and I know I can read them…. so I grabbed Jocy’s hand and off we went.  I was a little uncomfortable.  Because, yes, we do scream AMERICANS!  I think the blonde hair and the blue eyes are just a little hint.  But it was pretty interesting. Definitely a place I need to shop!  No idea if the stuff were knock offs or real (I couldn’t tell) but their prices were a 1/6 of the mall prices!  Finally I see the pet store!  Yay!  And what is in the window?  The cutest puppies and kittens!  It was so hard not to take them all!   It was a bit expensive for the supplies, but I guess that Joel’s OMG HOW MUCH face got the lady to knock the kitty litter box down half price.  I am going to have to get him to do that at the Grand Bazaar! 

So mission accomplished!  We head back looking for Café Sultan.  It was packed when we walked by the first time so it much be good… right?    When we got there, the outside was still packed but the inside had plenty of space.  Once we got in, I knew why.  It was a bit warm, but a nice breeze did finally make it in the front door.  I am still having a HARD… EXTREMELY HARD time getting past the B.O. thing.  I am slowly getting better and by the time we left the restaurant I didn’t notice it too much. Winking smile  Our waiter knew a little English but we have been trying hard to order in Turkish.  Which we found out last night might be more confusing!  We ordered our meals which came with a drink.  We ordered 2 cokes and 1 Fanta (which is how they say it) but then we ordered 3 Su… which is water.  Well he miss understood and we ended up with 3 soups.  LOL.  I have no idea what it was.  Maybe pea or asparagus?  And it came with a lemon and tasted amazing with the lemon juice.  Jocy and Nate weren’t interested, but Elly loved it!  So much she chose eating the soup over her chicken nuggets and fries she ordered! 

DSC00288

Dinner was really good.  I got grilled chicken with mashed potatoes and French fries?  Not sure why that was the meal.  Nate got my fries but the mashed potatoes were really good!  And, as Joel said, I am a mashed potato snob.  And one thing that I just don’t understand, why America gets the rap for Supersized meals.   We have not gotten a meal here than we could finish!  The kids can usually share a meal and have leftovers.  Which I guess will save us some money!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home