The Blue House of Crazy

Adventures of an American Expat Family

July 10, 2011

The girls “new” furniture

Everyone in our house has been getting new furniture recently.  The girls got new bunk beds when Nate was born.  But we thought it was time to get Nate a big boy bed.  He can still fit in his crib but with our upcoming move, it was just easier to buy him a new one now.  We checked out all the local furniture stores and instead of finding Nate a bed, we found us a bed set that we really liked!  We have been putting off buying us anything new for years.  There was always other things to spend the money on.  When we first moved in together, I had my Grandparent’s first bed.  It was beautiful and I loved it.  It was a little strange since it was so old, it was in between a queen and a full size, which made buying a mattress difficult.  I was so sad when it was damaged in our house fire.  Then our parents gave us their first bedroom set.  It’s five years old than me!  But as ugly as it is, it has served us well.  I had always planned on refinishing it and putting in the guest room when we finished the basement.  So we have found this set that we both really like and we actually have the money sitting around……  so we bought  it!  Yay!  It arrived last Friday and I feel like such an adult now!  I LOVE it!  And for the $$, Joel’s happy that I plan to keep it forever. (will post pics later)

 

We finally found a bed for Nate that we really liked.  Unfortunately, it takes 45 days to be delivered.  We just found out we had 30 until our move.  We ended up buying the first bed we liked and was our second choice.  It arrives on Wednesday.

 

With all this new furniture arriving in our house, I was feeling bad that the girls dresser was still looking old and never got the paint job it needed.  The girls new beds were an off white and the dresser was the same white it had been when we got it.  Another pass down, it was my dad’s and then passed down to my brother and repaint when he got his UM bedroom.  He was in elementary school then….. and now almost 30. So it needed paint!!  I had found really cute drawer pulls that of course didn’t fit.  The girls have outgrown sharing that dresser.  We aren’t going to have the same walk-in closets in Istanbul.  So we really needed another dresser.  Wait!  Joel has this beat up dresser that isn’t going to fit into our bedroom anymore!  So, the idea began to refinish both dressers.  After three trips to Lowe’s for paint ideas, we finally picked colors.  It was a fight with Joel.  I wanted the dressers all one color.  In the end, he was right and they turned out great!  We even ended up refinishing my old desk for Jocy.  She is to the age she has quite a bit of homework. And she loves to draw.  Just hope it fits in her new room! 

Today, we are doing a few touch up and putting on the new knobs we bought for the dressers.  I painted the desk pulls but I don’t think I love them.  Might be another trip to Lowes.   This was a LOT of hard work but I think it was worth it.  And it was a fun day with Joel.  We have always worked well together.  Maybe when we get around to another house, he will work less and we can have fun doing more stuff like this. 

And the finished product!!!!

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home