The Blue House of Crazy

Adventures of an American Expat Family

July 15, 2011

Bacon!

I.LOVE.BACON!  Yes I do.  I haven’t eaten much of it over the years because hubby is not a fan of bacon.  But once we started doing majority of shopping at Sam’s Club, I have started buying bacon again.  Hubby makes breakfast most Sundays that he doesn’t work.  It usually involves pancakes.  I enjoy a good stack but I NEED that salty joy to counteract that sweet.  BLT has always been a summer staple.  YUM!  I even like bacon on my salads.  Bacon just makes everything better. 

When Hubby was offered the job in Turkey, I learned early on that bacon or any pork product is hard to come by.  I was reading blogs about the Greek butcher in some shady alley that might have some bacon.  The list of things I wouldn’t be able to eat kept getting longer and longer.  Thankfully, most of the comments were out of date.  When we were at the Hilton in Istanbul, we enjoyed a nice burger and fries WITH ketchup.  And every morning, I happily made my way to the Executive Lounge is eat BACON!  So it was a huge lie!  I can get bacon.  WOO HOO!!  But as we made a few stops into the markets and groceries, where was the pork?  No bacon?  Heck, meat itself was pretty expensive.  Turns out the hotels can get bacon.  So it was all a big tease.  So so sad.  If I could figure out how to get a case on the plane, I totally world.  Looks like I will be tracking that Greek Butcher down!  Maybe we can work out a deal that I can get a whole pig.  Mmmm. sausages, pork, chops and of course, BACON!

In preparation for our pending relocation, I have been eating LOTS o’Bacon.  I’m at about two packs a week.  LOL… I sound like a smoker!  Breakfast sandwiches and BLTs have been my lunch.  But today has to be my fav.  I know it’s the middle of summer in KC.  And we are under a “its so HOT don’t let your kids outside” Heat Advisory, but I really really really needed to get in some loaded potato soup.  YUM….. and I greatly enjoyed it!  In the winter, I make my own potato soup.  But as we wondered the aisles of Hy-Vee picking out the foods we will miss, I grabbed a can of Campbell’s Potato.  I had planned on saving it for a rainy day. But we had leftover Tikka Masala in the fridge, so that got eaten instead.  Now that we are down to a few more days and I was tired after a morning at the pool (see my priorities?), I grab the can of soup for lunch.  Fried up some bacon and crumbled it with some shredded Cheddar (another hard to find) over my hot soup.  So so good, and not conducive to wearing a bathing suit next week.  But if I have to wait another three years for it, you lovely people of HHI can deal with my fat butt. Smile

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home