The Blue House of Crazy

Adventures of an American Expat Family

November 7, 2016

Days 6, 7, & 8

Well, I am behind as usual!  Milly is sick yet again.  Sigh. This poor girl.  But that means extra snuggles for me.

Day 6 - I am so very thankful for the opportunity to live overseas.  And all the benefits that come with it!  We would have never been able to afford to see the world like we have with four kids.  To education them with world views.  They really don't know another life.... they have friends from every walk of life.  I think it gives them a great advantage in life.  Hopefully, they continue to be so openminded as they go into adulthood.

Day 7 - comfort food.  Sometimes when you are far from home and having a crappy day (or week), comfort food (and a glass or two of wine) can give you just enough warmth to get you out of your funk.  Or at least for a few short hours, you can hide in your little bubble.

Day 8 -  What else can you really be grateful for on Election Day - but being an American!  This election year has been a hot mess.  People are angry and jaded.  They don't think our country is great.  All I can put it down to is selfishness & ignorance.  The American Dream has become nothing more than almighty $$$.  Living overseas for the past 5 years has showed me that we American's have it so good.  Hard work can equal your dreams. Unfortunately, people confuse their dreams with what is in their bank account.  We can elect those that run the country, but need to remember they are only human.  We can speak our mind, even when we shouldn't.  We can even turn our heat on when we want to!  That was one huge shocker moving to China.... I have no control over my heat!

Don't get me wrong, there are things that could be improved.  But I think everyone needs to start with themselves.  Do you think all this nastiness is going to make things better?  No, it has set us back 50 years.  No one can make you happy but yourself.  Things, a newer car, a bigger house, the next Apple product?  No.  Wanting all that stuff just adds more stress.... figuring out how to pay for it all.  And now with social media and the great expansion of the internet around the world, it seems everyone wants everything and now.  The rest of the world just doesn't work that way.  I have really grown in the last few years and I look back at our life and think... man, I was an idiot.  But thru everything, I am damn happy to be an American!!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home