The Blue House of Crazy

Adventures of an American Expat Family

November 5, 2016

Day 4 & 5

Yesterday was a busy one.  My lovely friend Grace had a get together for her birthday.  She is so kind and quiet and I am very happy that I was introduced to her.  I haven't been sleeping great for a while and it is finally catching up to me.  I wasn't in a very social mood when I arrived.  Even though, I was not my normal chatty self, it was nice to be around these woman.  Grace lives in the "German Village".  This is an area were everyone works for VW.  It was quite a surprise to see this very clicky group.  But I have come to realize, the long time expats are so welcoming.  But the ones that were dragged here for two years for their husbands' careers..... I just steer clear.  They rarely associate outside their peer group.  And really don't leave their compound much.

So this brings around my Day 4 of thankfulness.  I am quiet and reserved coming into each new location.  But I am very grateful that my parents gave me the foundation to deal with this.  I see these woman that stick to their little circle and to me, they are missing out on so much.  I have always had friends from all different circles. All the way back to high school.  I had one main group of friends, but also friends for all kinds of groups.  And as the years have gone on, I find myself the same way. Even here in Changchun.  I would have missed out on so many new experiences!  That is the whole point of living abroad.

This morning, we woke to snow.  I'm was slow to crawl out of bed... another crappy night of sleep.  Partially my fault.... sucked into another book!  I was kind of blah this morning.  So while Joel took three of the kiddos out to play in the snow, I opened up my Macbook to check FB and my email.  I remembered today was a very good friend's bday and send him a message.  He responded back and we chatted for a bit.  We don't get to do this often with the 12 hour time difference.  But every time we talk, he can always cheer me up.  No matter how long it has been, it's like we still can banter like we are still in high school.   I have a handful of friends that are like this.  We have know each other for 20 plus years.  Again, they are from different groups.  Some have crossed paths and some not.  Anytime I am struggling or just need a friendly "face" to talk with... they are there.  And then all is right with the world.   I am so very thankful for these friends.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home