The Blue House of Crazy

Adventures of an American Expat Family

January 8, 2012

Mont-St-Michel

am still trying to get caught up on posting all the fun of our Christmas Holiday.  One of the places that was on my list of places to visit was Mont-St-Michel.  I was so excited to learn we were only about an hour away!  So we decided to go on the 28th.  Which was the day after Rachelle and I did our 10 miles around Paris!  Let me tell you how much my body hurt!  LOL, but I wasn’t going to miss this~
We piled all 10 of us into the Vito and made the hour drive.  Once we got off the highway, it was such a beautiful country drive.  I don’t think I could ever get sick of admiring all the gorgeous stone buildings.

IMG_9512 
Our First sighting of Mont-St-Michel

                       IMG_9517  
  Rachelle happy to get out of the van
IMG_9518

Jocy in the van

IMG_9524  
  Finally arrived



It was FREEZING that day.  It wasn’t too bad when we left the house but being on the water, the wind made it miserable.  It was so strong I was afraid Elly would blow away!
IMG_9530

It was a little after lunch time when we arrived, so we decided to find a place to eat.  I was pretty surprised how busy it was.  I can’t imagine how it would be on a perfect day in the summer!  We found a place that could fit all 10 of us.  Everyone, except Joel and the kids, order a 3 course meal.  Joel had Mussels and Frites and the kids had pizza.  And of course everyone had to order wine!!  The first course was salad.  From the menu, it seemed pretty simple, but it was oh to good!  It had coleslaw in it.  YUM!  I got a chicken with some kind of sauce.  I can’t remember.  But was very disappointed it had mushrooms on it. I am allergic to them. It was SO good, I didn’t want to not eat it.  I decided to take a chance and just pick them off.  Glad I did.  And it came with frites!  I don’t think I will ever like a French fry again.  I could eat Frites ALL.DAY.LONG.  We had a really wonderful meal.  Dessert was some kind of Normandy specialty.  Just as wonderful as the rest of the meal!
IMG_0646 
Aunt Rachelle and the girls at dinner
IMG_0641 
   Poor Nate was cold and tired!

After a wonderful lunch, we started up.  My in-laws opted to not make the journey. Some how we convinced my parents to go.  I even think in the end they greatly enjoyed themselves!
The next part is going to be a TONS of pictures.  It was just such a beautiful place.
The girls ready to climb the stairs
Nate got a free ride!
Mom and Dad ready for the hike
Gorgeous views!
Love the way the sun reflected off the church
Loved the floors
Jocy had a thing for doors. LOL
My mom taking a break
Elly being goofy!
That is one big fireplace
Aunt Rachelle
Loved the random red door


I had the most amazing time!  It was like getting lost in another time.  I highly recommend a visit if you are ever in France!  They are doing some work and soon you won't be able to drive onto the island.  There will be a visitors center that you will catch a bus to ride over.  I would highly recommend going off season or first thing in the morning.  It was FREEZING cold and December, but the town area was packed.  I can't imagine how bad it would be on a warm summer day.  Especially, since I have personal space issues and Europe doesn't seem to have them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home