The Blue House of Crazy

Adventures of an American Expat Family

May 27, 2010

I like my comforts

The weather has finally started to get hot here.  4 days near 90. Which is normal this time of year.  Joel likes to wait as long as possible to turn the A/C on.  Which I don't mind if there's a breeze.  I love having the windows open. Especially if it's a cool night.  But by Sunday, it had gotten too hot.  Mostly worried about the kids, so we finally turned on the air.  And then this loud noise followed by a high pitch squeal.  I hurried to turn it off to keep from doing more damage.  Joel looked at it and couldn't figure out what was wrong.

Monday morning I called our heating/cooling people.  They told me they were swamped and wouldn't be able to get to me until Tuesday or Wed.  Turns out that was a better deal than most people could offer.  Everyone in KC seems to be having issues.  Monday was HOT and miserable.  We stayed outside as much as possible because there was at least a breeze.  The kids ran thru their spray park until they broke it.  Then the Marowelli's came over and ran thru the sprinkler.  It was good times.  But by 4pm, the house was 88 degrees.  It was miserable.  So we had two fans going in the family room and I convinced everyone to relax in front of a movie.  We tried to remain that way for the rest of the night.  Dinner was cooked on the grill.  We played outside some more. Everyone took cool showers before bed.  But it was still so hot that night.  The low was 75, so the house never cooled off.  I barely slept.  I keep checking on the kids to make sure it wasn't too hot. 

We made it thru the night.  And it wasn't too bad in the morning.  We spent the morning outside and the kids ran around while I sprayed them with the hose.  After lunch it started to warm up but tried for naptime.   It was starting to get miserable again, so I started looking for a hotel.  I was NOT doing another night light that.  We were supposed to get some thunderstorms but it was going around us. We got a little rain but it just raise the humidity.  Luckily, that storm that was going just past us brought clouds and strong winds.  The temp in the house dropped 8 degrees in an hour. So I stopped the search.  The A/C guys were supposed to be here this evening or tomorrow.  I could make it.

By 5pm, the next evening I was PISSED!  I had called and left a message and mentioned I had three young kids at home.  By 5:45pm, Joel called and said he found someone at the plant and he was on his way over.  A BIG THANKS to John!  Not only did he fix the A/C, his two boys keeps my three entertained the whole time.  One great thing about working at a place with 4000 employees... you will find someone that can help you out.

Joel and I have been discussing how great it would be to build a house on some acreage and have it be as green as possible. And possibly getting off the grid.  Solar and wind power... that kind of thing.  One thing I've learned after this weekend.... MUST HAVE air conditioning!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home