The Blue House of Crazy

Adventures of an American Expat Family

May 28, 2012

Is it Summer Vacation yet?

As I read post after post on Facebook about everyone's kids starting there summer break, I get a twinge of jealous. Well, let me correct that. Envy. Because after that first moment, it passes. If we were still in Liberty, the girls would be out of school. Which would probably be fine, since the weather has been unseasonable warm all winter long. But for us now, I'm not quite ready.

 Spring is still in full force in Istanbul. We have barely reached 80 a few days so far. We have greatly enjoyed the perfect 70 degree weather. Today is warm but its raining. I thought the European rainy spring would get a bit depressing, but I have quite enjoyed it. There is just enough sun in between those days. Today we are even getting a bit of thunder! I love thunderstorms. And I don't have worry if a tornado could be involved. Plus I have realized that in a big city, the rain really gives a good cleaning. The funny smells go away, the grime disappears. Even though, Istanbul is an amazingly clean city, everything still ends up cover in dust. Must be because of all the building and cars.

 One thing I have missed is the smell of that first grass cutting of the year. It just really tells you that winter is finally over. There is such little grass around unless you go to a park or outside of the city. But last week, as I was driving to gymnastics, I saw a crew mowing the median and planting flowers. The windows were down and I could smell that lovely smell of freshly cut grass. It's amazing how the littlest things effect you. 

With out any hints of summer, I will happily accept that the school year is another 5 weeks. I'm sure we will be so busy that we won't even notice! Between Fun Day, all the spring programs, the three gymnastic shows and who knows else, school will be over in no time. And this will be one of the few years that Elly will ever get to celebrate her birthday at school. She is beyond excited. And we have a party to plan! Not to mention all the baby stuff to do. So I wish everyone in the States, a wonderful summer holiday! When you start back the beginning of August, I will feel sorry for your kiddos having to be in school for the hottest part of the summer! I will think of you as we are laying on the beach!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home