The Blue House of Crazy

Adventures of an American Expat Family

January 7, 2015

The Tale of Two Schools

I knew at some point we would get to where we had kids in multiple schools.  But as long as they were in International schools I thought that would be a bit longer.  Unfortunately, it happened this year.  We could have made the choice to put all three kids in El Plantio, where the middle two go.  There was room for all three and Jocy could have walked them to and from school.  But we just didn't think it was a great fit for Jocy.  When we found out there was one spot for Year 6 at Cambridge House, we took it.  It's the best school in Valencia and would have loved to send all the kids there but the wait list is long.  We just lucked out!  Even Milly's class is already full.

Before school started, we asked her if she would be OK with being at a different school.  She said it was fine.  In fact, both Jocy and Elly were happy about it.  I think they wanted a break from being identified as Jocy's sister or Elly's sister.  They are quite different.  When we went for the Meet the Teacher Day, I knew Jocy was nervous.  But once she met the teacher, she was at home.  We had made the right decision.

Now, back then it didn't even dawn on me.  How could it be different?  But, oh it is.  The School Calendar.  Sigh.  I thought all the kids started on Sept 8th.  Thankfully, I looked.  Because we spend all of Sept 4 running around trying to get uniforms and books to start on Sept 5.  Then Jocy got out for Christmas break on Friday the 19th.  Makes sense.  But the other two had to go to school on Monday the 22nd.  What?  It worked out that Jocy got a day with Grandma without the other two but I still had to get up and fight the battle.  It was supposed to be Christmas break!

Well here we are again today.  I thought they were all going back to school.  A trip to the grocery store ALONE!  But when I double checked the school calendar, it said Holiday (pending confirmation)  Well I never got any confirmation!  So after dropping Jocy off at the bus stop, I drove by school.  30 minutes before school and they place is still dark.  Hmmm.  So I made the executive decision that the empty school was my confirmation.  So everyone is still sleeping, while I drink my coffee in silence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home