The Blue House of Crazy

Adventures of an American Expat Family

December 9, 2014

Going Home

It's funny when your definition of HOME changes.  For me it was always Louisville.  The town I did most of my growing up in and the place my parents still call home.  I still have most of my family there and many of my friends.  So I truly thought it would always be home.

When we moved to Istanbul, it took quite a while to stop saying when we go home.  Meaning the United States.  We really don't have a home in the States anymore.  We left behind Liberty and when (and if) we return to the States, it will be back to Detroit.  So we are kind of in limbo with that home thing.  Joel and I did become official residents of Kentucky last month.  We both have drivers license and I even registered to vote.  And voted!

But even though we were "home", it isn't home anymore.  Home is now where my family is.  My husband, four kiddos, two dogs and two turtles.  Along with all our crap. LOL.  We may have only been in that house a month, but boy does it feel like home.

This Friday we are finally going HOME!  I'm so excited.  Of course sad to leave my family behind.  And I had a great time with my friends that I managed to see.   It's hard when you are juggling life and kids.  Doesn't help with the holidays.  I missed a few friends I really wanted to see, but what can you do.

And the best part... my kids are going BACK TO SCHOOL!  And my mother in law is arriving.  But I will be blaring Christmas music and getting everything ready.  I wish we were celebrating as a big family like last year but the joys of expat life.  I just got to spend two months with my parents and brother.  But lesson learned..... you can really never go home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home