The Blue House of Crazy

Adventures of an American Expat Family

November 29, 2011

Istanbul Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving has come and gone in the Beckerman Household. And sadly it past without the big to do I am used to. We held off our feast until Saturday, because an 8pm dinner just seemed pointless. We got up Saturday morning and made our quick trip to the grocery. We had looked last weekend, but they didn't have any full turkeys, so we opted for a boneless breast. We don't need a whole one with the 5 of us. Of course, when we went that Saturday, there were 5 sitting there. Next year, I know to wait. I had seen fresh green beans (the kind we are used to) in the produce section two weeks ago. None to be found. So we got what we thought was a larger version. There were NO sweet potatoes or yams to be found. Boo... but they did have the other parts... marshmallows and pineapple. We finished up shopping and headed home to get started. I had actually started cooking the day before. I made the cornbread and biscuits and put together the stuffing. And I made pumpkin bread. I had my game plan together! This shouldn't be too bad. Kitchen was cleaned and everything was organized and ready to go. I was making my pumpkin pie and the power went out. No big deal. That's what the generator is for. I hear it fire up outside my kitchen window. It sounds like a Semi truck but it gets the job done. I put my pie in. About 15 minutes later.... power is out. Hmm... what's the point of the generator. I have my green bean casserole prepped, except I had to make the fried onions and really everything else was last minute. Good time for a nap. Well when I woke up it was getting dark. I went to flip on the light in the bathroom... nothing. Are you freakin kidding me? After all said and done, the power outage or whatever, flipped the main circuit to our apartment. Who knew there was a whole other board in the storage room? So I franticly get back to work. Thankfully, we didn't buy that whole turkey! Everything came together and we sat down for dinner about 7pm. DSC00927 DSC00928DSC00931DSC00932DSC00940
 Nate and Elly weren't a big fan of dinner. Which I was surprised. Jocy had her usually 3 helping. Pretty much only have some stuffing left over. After dinner, the kids decided it was time for some sliding. DSC01009DSC01015DSC01019
 Not a bad first Thanksgiving in our new home. Now to find us a tree and hopefully get my internet so I can stream some Christmas music from Pandora! DSC01024
Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home