The Blue House of Crazy

Adventures of an American Expat Family

November 18, 2011

Things I miss..

Ok…. so I am not homesick or anything.  And I am still very happy here but it’s such a different country and I need to get it out there. LOL

 

I miss pretzels.  I really miss any kind of snack food.  What they do have here is not too tasty, comes is small packages and costs a ton!  One of my goals is to start making some of that stuff myself.  I do enjoy buying pistachios and other nuts from the nut counter.  But they are a bit pricey.  And I really am adjusting to eating an apple or something for snack.

Cheddar Cheese.  I have always been a big fan of Cheddar Cheese.  And I was too consumed by the idea of the lack of bacon in my diet for the next three years to even realize no cheddar.  We have been buying different cheeses each week to try.  They are not bad and found one that worked in our fav dishes.  But, the craving for cheddar started.  So it went on the list of things to look for at the Carrefour.  Low and behold, Joel yells across the cheese section, he had found cheddar.  It was about the size of a small pack of Velveeta slices and cost twice what we paid for a HUGE block of cheddar at Sam’s Club.  Yikes!  But every penny was worth it!!! 

 

Kool-Aid   We have been big Kool-Aid drinkers of the years.  Especially, since I gave up Sweet Tea and Cokes years ago.  I still have a coke here and there but it’s been 8 years since I broke the addiction.   And I prefer a fountain drink if I bother having one.  I am currently in a bind of what to drink.  Coke and Sprite are available everywhere.  They have Fanta here but it’s different.  Less orangy and fake tasting.  And because the water is undrinkable, we are buying about 50L a week.  And probably could buy more.  So as I was sorting out the cabinet two weeks ago, I was utterly shocked to find three packets of Kool-Aid.  WooHoo!!   I immediately made a Strawberry and GREATLY enjoyed over two days.  Even shared with the kids.  Now a few weeks later, I sit here typing greatly enjoying my glass of Strawberry Kool-Aid with my tiny ice cubes.  Haven’t found full size ice trays yet.

 

Being able to read my appliances.  One thing I NEVER thought of when moving.  I knew I couldn’t read the signs, the newspaper or anything.  But it never dawned on me that I would have to sit with an English-Turkish book to figure out how to wash my clothes!  Thankfully the dishwasher has pictures.  But I still have now idea how to use the dryer.  I know my clothes are mostly getting dry…. so I’m good with it.  And it only took me about an hour to figure out how to change my car to English!

 

The other thing to follow the above – reading directions.   I am all about trying to live the Turkish life.  Eat there food and try new foods.  But when you are grocery shopping, you are standing there trying to translate your grocery list.  Then you figure it out and decide to try it…… you can’t figure out how the heck to cook it because you can’t read the directions!!!!   I am getting better.  I can read measurements and some ingredients.  And I can get the cooking time, but it would probably be so much better if I know what it said.  I really need Google Translate!  You have no idea!

 

Now, most people will find this a thing to miss and I did a first – how long things take to get done here.  Multitasking is not in their vocabulary.  Getting a cell phone registered is a nightmare unless you find someone who knows how to do.  Which is a task in itself.  Cell phones are EXTREMELY expensive.  Joel will never complain about a $200 phone again!   Waiting on our apartment contract took 6 weeks.  Internet, phone, and cable – we are now at 43 days without it.  I finally got  a cheap pay as you go cell just to be able to call someone when Joel’s out of the country.  It will go to Jocy later.  I’m ok without internet most days, but I miss school stuff, homework is thru email, I can’t talk to most of my friends, and can’t plan vacations, of get the weather or news!!!  I joined the International Women of Istanbul, but all Mum’s Groups and events are all thru email and their website.   I completely missed Gaddafi was dead or that there was an Earthquake and everyone was worried about us.  I had to call Kentucky to find out from very worried parents.  Now on the other side of this…. Americans are seen as an instant gratification society.  Not saying we are the only ones, but we are probably considered the worst.  I have succumbed to it and I have seen my kiddos too.  So, I am finding that dealing with all this slowness, I am coming to terms with it and gaining quite a bit more patience.  And for those of you that have known me for years, knows patience is not my thing. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home